|AIPM moves back into their new North Head Campus
The upgrade to the AIPM at Collins Beach creates a new residential / teaching campus for the important national and international police officer training facility.
The site was established early in the 1800’s, in 1960 the Seaman’s Isolation Hospital was converted to a police training centre. It sits adjacent Arthur Phillip’s first landing place, it includes original heritage structures and an archeologically important roadway built to carry cannons to North Head. The site is home to the last North-Head Penguin rookery and Banded Bandicoot habitat.
The Design reflects the Institutional, Military and Police Heritage of the site whilst minimising impact on sensitive ecological zones. Nine buildings of low significance were removed to recreate curtilage to the Hospital structures.
Ecological and heritage zones were identified:
Five new buildings providing residential, academic, administrative and library facilities were located in low sensitivity areas reinforcing the axial arrangement and a new central ‘parade area’ was established.
The project makes a strong public contribution through its stewardship of important heritage structures and protections of ecologically sensitive items.